Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Life in the big girl world


So I am about two months into my job and I am still loving every minute of it! It will get to be 6 pm and I am honestly thinking, but I'm not ready to go yet! I feel so lucky to be in this office, getting to learn from some writers who I really admire and who can teach me so much. One of the things that I look forward to every week is the editorial board meeting. Every Thursday the entire opinions page staff meets and we discuss issues that will be upcoming editorials. The writer presents a brief description of the issue and highlights the main facts in case anyone is unfamiliar with the details, which never really happens because everyone here is brilliant and completely informed at all times. Then we debate what stance we think the paper should take on the issue. Of course we have to consider our past opinions if it is an issue that we have editorialized about before, because we very rarely change our stance on issues. We take into account new major developments of course, but we try to remain consistent. These meetings are definitely the best part of the week because ten intelligent minds (plus me) are sitting around exchanging ideas and forcing one another to look at an issue from a point of view we may never have considered. Many times I have gone into the meeting feeling quite confident that my view was right and I leave the meeting feeling exactly the opposite because one of my colleagues introduced me to a new concept that totally opened my eyes and made me see things entirely different. I love it! I love everything about this industry and being here. I don't know if my college roommate will ever know how much she affected my life, but I cannot thank her enough for asking me to write that first article and getting me hooked for life! Thanks Ash!!






Trip to London January 2007- one of our first memories together!










Graduation Day May 2010- Our latest memory together, with many more to come!

1 comment:

Ashley Barnas said...

Roomie, you are so truly wonderful. I love you so much and I'm SO proud of you and all you've accomplished. It means so much to me that I helped you discover your passion in life.